Tuesday, January 03, 2023

NuXT

I finally decided to get a NuXT.  This is basically an IBM-XT motherboard, built out of modern parts.

The FreeDOS setup is nice, but it's missing some things:

1. Sound Blaster.  FreeDOS can't emulate a Sound Blaster, so you have to put a real one in.  I picked up one for the PC hardware that I have, but it doesn't work with DOS.  The hardware is too new and the Sound Blaster will only work with Windows (think WinModem sound card).

2. Speed.  Bad to say, but the FreeDOS set up is too fast.  That's nice for some things, but overall use is sort of painful sometimes.

Price wasn't too bad.  I have an ISA Sound Blaster and an ISA VGA card.  So all I needed was the NuXT (minus the VGA board) and a case.

My hope is that it will allow me to get the feeling that I want without the annoyances in the FreeDOS system.


No comments: