Wednesday, January 25, 2023

NuXT - update

The new PS/2 keyboard arrived.  I hooked it up and it seems to solve the "glitchy" problem that I saw on the other keyboard.  So that's good.

I also picked up a good floppy cable.  I verified it worked with the current 3.5" drive.

I retested the 360K and 1.2M floppy drives and they all still failed.  The 360K drive just wouldn't spin when accessed.  The 1.2M drive would spin, but "track 0 bad" kept coming up when formatting a known good disk - and that's after I gave the drive a good cleaning.  Like I said before, no surprise.

But I did discover why I was getting some strange things in testing before.  I had left the resistor packs on and I had them hooked up before the twist in the cable (i.e. in the middle).  Ya, that won't work because those resistor packs terminate the bus.

Anyway, a new (smaller) case is coming.  I may bid on the new 360K IBM drive that's on eBay just to have a real vintage-like system (we'll see).

Overall, I'm still happy with the NuXT, but if I knew then what I know now, I might not have purchased it.

Another update:
I was doing some research and I ran across this video titled "Why most 5.25" Floppy Drives seem broken, but aren't!"  So using that data, I retested my 1.2M and 360K floppy drives and they both work!  Yay!

Now the hard part is figuring out which one I should use.

Update:
The 360K one.  It has a black face, which matches the case.

No comments: