Saturday, January 28, 2023

Book Review - You Are Not Expected To Understand This

Yes, that's the title of the book.

"You Are Not Expected To Understand This.  How 26 Lines of Code Changed the World".  Edited by Torie Bosch


Read the other Amazon reviews.  I'm not the only one who thinks this book is a pile of Woke Revisionist History.

I understood this to be a series of stories about the early days of computers written by various people, so I wasn't surprised at the disjointedness of the book.  But I was sickened by the stories as seen through the Reality Distortion Field of the Woke.

The first few chapters left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth as the authors downplayed all roles by men and focused on the roles by women, no matter how small.  That a woman left the field was put down to "being pushed out by the men" as opposed to their decisions to do something else - oh, like raise a family.

But chapter 5 - Basic and the Illusion of Coding Empowerment - really made me put this book into the Goodwill pile.   The Woke trash just in the first paragraph was nauseating.  I skimmed the rest of the book and the last chapter is "Encoding Gender" and that's all I need to say there.

On top of that, the stories were poorly researched.  If I had done any of these for my Computer Science classes when I was in college, I would have failed the class.


No comments: