Sunday, January 22, 2023

NuXT - first impressions

So the case arrived and so did the NuXT.

The plan:

  • Use my old 5.25" disk drives to give it a vintage flavor.  I also need a way to create boot disks since there's no USB on it.
  • Use the VGA card that I have.
  • Use the Sound Blaster card that I have.
dl;dr  The Plan didn't work out well.

First, the 5.25" drives and/or floppy cables are bad.  I have a new cable arriving soon - so it's a known good, and not confused with an MFM control cable (which has the twist in the wrong place).  So I'll check out the drives once again.

I did get a 3.5" disk drive working, though.

The Sound Blaster is coming out for the simple reason that the programs that I wanted to use with it simply won't work on the NuXT.  Either too slow or need a 386 system to run.  But that's not a surprise.

Other software is off for the same reason: too slow or needs a better CPU.  But that's expected.  The vast majority of the games that I really want to play work fine, though.

On a positive note: The Sierra games work fine.  On my FreeDOS system, the text is garbled due to VGA incompatibilities.

The only other problem is the keyboard.  I have only 1 PS/2 keyboard.  It's a keyboard off a old portable.  It's XT/AT switchable (currently set for AT) that I've used on the FreeDOS system just fine.  But on the NuXT, if I type too fast, it glitches.  I've tried the troubleshooting steps in the NuXT manual and nothing yet.  I ordered a new PS/2 keyboard to see if that fixes the problem.

Overall, I'm happy with it, though.  But I purchased way too big a case for it.

No comments: