Sunday, July 11, 2021

Compaq Portable 386

I picked up a Compaq Portable 386.

Triage done.

It's in pretty good shape.  CMOS battery is done (no surprise).  That means I need the setup disks before I can do anything.  So those are on order.

Surprisingly, the company that makes the CMOS battery is still in business and the battery was in wide use.  So getting a replacement was very easy.  That's on order.

I pulled the floppy drive to clean it, but inside the case is very clean.  So I just think I need to put in the 5.25" cleaning disk before I try out the setup disks will be good enough.

The hard drive is IDE.  So I hooked it up to my Rosewill IDE to USB setup.  No go.  The drive spins, but the heads don't seek.  No surprise there either.  That was getting replaced by a CF card anyway.

The main thing that I'm tackling is the keyboard.  While the keyboard itself is nice, the cable is disintegrating.  This is a known problem.  I have a cable on order that I'll have to pinout and solder in its place.  But I can use the keyboard from the failed lunchbox portable as a backup.


No comments: