Sunday, July 11, 2021

C-64 troubles solved

One of my C-64s developed an issue with the keyboard.  The "E" key stopped working.

So I set it aside to be repaired and pulled out the "backup" C-64.  Boot up and...  Out of memory error - and I didn't load anything.  Diagnostics showed 6510 or RAM issue.  *sigh*

The "E" key issue went away when I swapped the plungers for the "E" and "R" keys.  But that issue will probably come back.  So when I had it open, I changed the Caps Lock key to be a plug that I can disconnect.

The replacement 6510 and RAM arrived for the "backup" C-64.

Now, I've been inside of C-64s before, but this one surprised me by having the 6510 and **some** of the RAM socketed.  That means that this system had issues before.

I tried the easy stuff first.  I replaced the 6510.  No change.  So it's a RAM issue.

I pulled the socketed RAM and one of the chips was highly oxidized.  So I replaced that chip with one of the new ones.  Everything works.  The Dead Test cartridge showed everything passed.

I think that this C-64 had been bought first, had a problem and was repaired.  Later, the guy got a new one and stored the old one in a more humid area, which caused that RAM chip (near to the edge of the case) to go bad over time.

So I'm back to 2 functioning C-64s.

No comments: