Tuesday, March 24, 2020

In exile

Working for home is greatly overrated.  I mean, I like my man cave and it's the perfect place to set up a home office since the desk, computer monitors and office chair are there.  But spending 8+ hours there every day... it wears.

So, today is day 8 of our exile from the office and, I'm getting...  I want to use the word 'depressed', but that's not correct.  I'm lacking energy.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Benefits with working from home:
  1. Short commute.  I can walk to work.  8)
  2. No distractions - at least none inside our condo.
  3. Very relaxed dress code.
  4. No lunch room filled with free junk food.  So it's kinda hard to snack (we don't keep much junk food in our condo).
Drawbacks:
  1. Lack of human interaction wears on you.
  2. I find I move less than I do when I'm in the office.
  3. I'm less productive.  There's just some things that are harder and more time consuming do to via the VPN.  And hope that the device that you are using back in the office doesn't decide to lock up.
So, there's not much I can do about most of those.  But I can move more.

I dug out my old hand weights and every hour or so, I stand up on the exercise mat and do a set of upper body exercises.  It only takes a minute or so and gets my energy levels back up.

No comments: