Sunday, October 25, 2020

Osborne Executive - Part 3 - Final

So the new floppy controller chips arrived.  No go.

But this time it got worse.  I reseated and cleaned all the socketed chips and now it doesn't even self-test.

I did try a test where I replaced the Z80 in it with the Z80 from one of my RC2014, and put the Osborne Z80 into an RC2014.  Nothing.

What I believe happened is this:  The Osborne was stored for many years in a poor environment and the chips have gone bad.  My reseating them was sort of the last straw and they gave up.

So the plan is to reassemble it just to keep it together.  Then I'll research what it would take to interface the display in it to my RC2014Pro and maybe install the RC2014Pro into the Osborne case.  That would be cool and still be fairly true to the system.

No comments: