Thursday, October 15, 2020

Osborne Executive - Part 01

 A few weeks ago, I picked up an Osborne Executive.


If you don't know the term The Osborne Effect, check out the link.  This is the computer that was involved in that mess.

At first, it looked good.  It booted to a "Insert disk into A: and press Enter", but none of the boot media that I picked up with it worked.  So on eBay I got some.

In the mean time, I dismantled it and cleaned it.  I knew it was going to be dirty, but I didn't realize that the guy who owned it decided to keep it in his "man barn".  A sealed, but not heated/cooled "garage" in the back yard.  I'm surprised that it still even powered up without blowing something.

So my boot media arrived and still no go.  I keep getting the Boot Error (meaning that something's wrong reading the floppy drive).

So it's back in many pieces again.

I tried switching the floppy drives.  No go.

I checked the cable for damage.  Nope.

I had already cleaned the drive and the heads, but I put my head cleaner in and did that.  Still nothing.

Now focusing on the floppy controller.

More in part 2 later.

No comments: