Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Osborne Executive - Part 02

Well, that took a bad turn.

I pulled the floppy controller chip.  It was pretty tarnished.  According to people, the pins are silver plated and, therefore, tarnish.

So I pulled the chip and used a soft wire brush and removed the tarnish.

But still no boot.

Someone else said that I needed to replace the socket.  Another use for the Hakko desoldering tool I got for my birthday!

The socket replacement went smooth.  No problems.  I had an extra socket that fit the floppy controller chip perfectly.

But I got it assembled enough to test and now it doesn't pass the self-test.

I checked everything over.  No solder bridges.  No bad solder points that I can see.

Perhaps the floppy controller chip is really bad and now the system can see it.  Cross my fingers.  I get the replacement chips later this week.

No comments: