Saturday, July 14, 2012

Banana Ice Cream Experiments

Start with 4 ripe bananas.  Peel them and place them in a baggie in the freezer for a while (like a day or 2).  I usually put the bananas that are too ripe to travel or are getting too soft to eat in a bag.  When I get to 4 I make ice cream.

Break them up and put them in your food processor.  Let them sit for a bit.  You actually have to let them thaw a bit or they'll get stuck.

Now, think about your additions.  So far, we've experiments with:

  1. Peanut Butter.  About 1.5-2 tablespoons per 4 bananas.
  2. Cinnamon.  1/2 tablespoon per 4 bananas.  I tried 1 tablespoon, but the cinnamon was overpowering.  I used the Chinese cinnamon from Penzeys since that pairs well with fruit.
  3. Honey Ginger.  1 tablespoon honey.  1 tsp of ground ginger.  Sweet with a hot after taste.
  4. Orange.  2 tablespoons dried orange peel from Penzey's plus 1 tsp orange extract.  It was OK, but I think I'll do it differently next time.
  5. Cocoa.  1 tsp was not enough.  The next time it will be 2.  More on this later.
I've 2 batches staged in the freezer.  One will be the new cocoa attempt.  I haven't decided on the other one yet.  Maybe banana/blueberry this time...  Hmm...

No comments: