Thursday, September 07, 2023

Reunion aftermath

So my reunion went off better than expected.

Things that surprised me:
  1. The number of people who actually matured and improved.  But I guess the other who didn't wouldn't have shown up.
  2. The number of people I didn't remember.
  3. The number of people who wanted to talk to us (my wife and me).
  4. The number of people who wanted to avoid us (who I had always been on good terms with).
My wife was comfortable enough that she was talked into us doing our wedding dance.  The video was interesting mostly hearing the crowd reactions.  I think they thought they would be getting Amateur Hour, but soon realized that they were getting Dancing With The Stars.

A many women were crying after the dance and one told my wife "I wish my husband would dance with me like that."

I met up with a guy who had my dad as a teacher and he wanted to tell me how being in his class sent him on a career into aviation.  This was a little bittersweet for me.  First, I didn't remember the guy.  I don't think I had any classes with him.  But his memories of the rocket launches my dad did in his science classes was a bit painful for me because I had asked my dad about that, but he would not do that with me.  So all these kids who weren't his children got to do model rockets, but he wouldn't do the same thing with his children.

I think some of the people there were looking for a bit of closure, and others were like me - just curious about how people turned out.

So the next reunion will be in 10 years.  But I told my wife that we probably won't go.  But there are many variables in that equation and we won't be able to solve that for another 10 years.

No comments: