Monday, December 15, 2014

Experiments

I had a day off today.  That means I get to rest.  Ya, who am I kidding?  I finished up all the Christmas stuff and then made a large mess in the kitchen experimenting with some cookie ideas.

A friend suggest peanut butter and gum drop cookies.  They turned out well, but nothing special for me.  Chopping up those big gum drops was a pain, but everything went together without a problem.

My wife Dawn came up with an idea: Skor Bits Cookies, but take the Skor bits out (stay with me) and replace them with Red Hots.  Very good.

I got a bag of candy cane bits.  So I took a brownie mix and mixed the candy bits into it.  They basically just melted and sank to the bottom.  8(  Much less mint flavor than I expected.  So I topped the brownies with melted Andes mints.  That worked OK.

What I should have done is just baked the brownies and then made a frosting that was minty and put the candy cane pieces into it.

Then I made Rice Krispie Treats but put mini-chocolate chips and chopped dried cherries in them.  That worked very well.

Finally, I made a recipe for sugar cookie cake.  I de-dairy-ed it by using silken tofu instead of cream cheese.  And used browned butter icing on top.  It turned out OK.  But not as good as I hoped.

No comments: